Monday, August 8, 2011

Back Into the Wild

I just got around to reading my July issue of Outside magazine tonight, and I was elated to see that it contained a follow-up to Christopher McCandless's epic story first published in 1996.

"Back to the Wild" was recently released via Amazon, and features the photographs and writings of Christopher McCandless during his last years (as Alexander Supertramp).


Outside reports that in March, those closest to McCandless visited the last place he lived - a derelict Fairbanks City Transit system bus - to pay their respects before releasing the last pieces of his life he left behind.

I read the original story and I saw the movie. I both identify with and disagree with McCandless's choices. I've never been able to come completely to terms with what he did - I can't argue against or in support of it. What I can admire is the courage of a boy who set himself on a course with more drive than most could imagine to summon in a lifetime.

I think Chris was on the brink of living an extraordinary life, but his ambition and narrow focus prevented him from surviving.

Sean Penn and Emile Hirsch told his story beautifully in Into the Wild - a movie I think everyone should see!

2 comments:

Malena said...

Into the wild is amazing, I saw it after you recommending it. Definitely a movie you can never forget.

Blog do Fer said...

I came to your blog after seeing a picture of Christopher McCandless, an old post in June 2009. Then to my surprise you've started to comment on a recent post, did not know about "Back to the Wild." Anyway, I loved this movie and the incredible story of McCandless, but I think today was a great twist of fate. I also understand that his choices, his choices were, who are we to judge what he or anyone else does or does not do. Of course there is a dose of inconsistency at times, such as the main one, not knowing that he had close to a bridge across the River. Anyway, this story serves as a beautiful lesson.

You can read my brief post here: http://bloggerdofer.blogspot.com/2008/08/na-natureza-selvagem.html

Greetings from Brazil.