Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ridiculous mosquitoes

Is anyone else noticing these huge monsters at their house?! They are constantly swarming by my back door, and there is no standing water or any other obvious attraction other than my two doggies and myself. I've always been a tasty attraction for mosquitoes - maybe my blood is super sweet?

The one plus is that they are very slow-moving, so thwacking them with a shoe is pretty easy - I think I've successfully swatted at least 2 dozen in the last four days. But still, what gives?

I'm curious about whether this is a localized problem to North Carolina - or is it even more localized to Durham - or even more localized to my house?!

Strangely enough, I have not experienced a rash of mosquito bites on myself. Perhaps that is due to the colder temperatures and my being more covered up when outside. However, that situation brings up an oxymoron - WHY are these mosquitoes persisting in the colder/often freezing weather?!

I'm not exaggerating - at any given time there are at least a dozen of these pests flitting around by my back door. Would love to hear if anyone else is experiencing such an unwelcome mosquito infestation.

No comments: