Friday, October 28, 2011

The Kindness of Strangers

The Kindness of Strangers was a difficult book to read - not as difficult as The Lost Dogs - but TKOS was on a whole new level of disturbing. Thank goodness it's fiction.

The book is narrated by separate characters each chapter. Unlike some other books that employ this technique, I was pleasantly surprised by the lack of needless overlap.

As an overview I will admit that I was reading this book while having my hair cut at my local Great Clips (yes I am cheap). I'd seen this particular girl a couple of times and she remembered me as "the reader", so she asked me about my current book. I described it to her as delicately as I could and she just said, "Wow. I'm fairly certain I couldn't read that."

It's true, but I'm glad I did. It's a story told in reminiscence - and that last scene in the book - from the past - is truly uplifting. Amazing. I can't think of another way to describe it.

After reading this book you'll want to immediately run out and volunteer for some underprivileged organization!

Read more about The Kindness of Strangers here...

No comments: