Monday, July 28, 2008

Blue Monday

Mondays in their entirety aren't always all bad - it's the Monday mornings that get me. Since the end of my days as a competitive swimmer, I've become increasingly less fond of hours prior to 9 a.m. You would be, too, if you were forced for most of your life to wake at the most indecent of hours, only to plunge into freezing cold water and push yourself to physical limits I couldn't begin to comprehend now. Honestly, I often think back to those days and wonder how I didn't go absolutely cuckoo spending so many hours staring at a stripe on the bottom of a swimming pool; back and forth, back and forth; my mind constantly counting down the laps until I could go home and eat and go to bed. I used to dream about my bed...

My current physical regimen is quite modest, but it does require that I rise before 7 a.m. on Monday, Wednesday and Friday - therefore I hate those days except for Friday, because well, it's Friday.  Next Monday will be day three of vacation at the beach, so I'm actually looking forward to next Monday, but for now I'll look forward to Tuesday. (I'm starting to feel oddly Seussish).

And I still dream about my bed... 


Quote of the day from the August 2008 issue of Real Simple Magazine:

"I love living. I have some problems with my life, but living is the best thing they've come up with so far."
-Neil Simon

No comments: