Thursday, July 31, 2008

To brush or not to brush?

My introduction to the importance of canine dental care came in 2002 when my vet in Michigan informed me that Bailey needed a cleaning. With both a father and brother practicing dentistry, and knowing that Todd and I quit having regular cleanings soon after high school, I found this suggestion ridiculous - especially since to this day, my brother's mouth is free of fillings. (I really think it's all about the home care - if you brush and floss with due diligence, you should be fine). While my father agreed that "Bailey going to the dentist" was absurd, I conceded and Bailey got his cleaning for a total cost of $130.25. When I got Zoe in November of 2005, her teeth were foul, so her first cleaning was completed that month for a grand total of $283.

Now that Bailey is 10-and-a-half, my current vet says he's due for another scrub. Of
course the current estimated charges are closer to $400! I also worry about putting him under at his age, but when I learned about the complications that can arise from an abscessed tooth (kidney infection risk, for example), I realized Bailey's plaque encrusted jaws shouldn't be ignored.

So, you may be wondering why I don't just brush my dogs' teeth instead to avoid this hassle? While I'm sure there are dogs out there that are somewhat receptive to having their mouths held open to be probed by a foreign object that often gags them, my dogs do not fall into that group. Bailey gags and struggles to bite down on whatever is placed in his mouth - he doesn't differentiate between my fingers and the toothbrush. Zoe is far more receptive. She even allows me to pick at her teeth with dental tools, but her mouth is so small that it is quite difficult to effectively maneuver any kind of dental instrument.

So Bailey will likely be getting his teeth cleaned at the end of the year.
Zoe, however, is quite satisfied with my alternative solution for cleaning her teeth: Greenies! I'm glad she loves them, too, because it has proven to be a challenge to find chews/treats that are appropriate for a dog as tiny as she is (7-and-a-half lbs). These little toothbrush-shaped digestible dental treats are genius. Not only are they effective, but as evidenced in the photos below, dogs find them to be quite tasty!

In closing, I feel I must say that if your pets will allow you to brush their teeth, by all means make the effort to do so. Your wallet will thank you!


Zoe the Greenie destroyer


The aftermath: enjoying any and all remnants available


Check out that tongue! S'pose that treat was lip smackin' good.

No comments: