Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Love My Ride

A summary of my CR-V acquisition and deep devotion...
In July of 1997, I drove my old Honda Accord to Rehoboth Beach to visit my roommate who was lifeguarding for the summer. Long drive. Way too long on 1-95 (I loathe that highway) and small country roads. For perhaps a three-hour segment on a two-lane highway, I followed a Honda CR-V. They had only just become available, so this new tiny SUV (oxymoron, I know) caught my eye. A mental note was attempted, but then I quickly tried to forget it, reminding myself that a new car was nowhere in my future - near or far.

Then fate stepped in. On July 23, 1997, I was on my way to a doctor's appointment when the driver of something like a Lincoln breezed through a red light and plowed into my poor Accord. After I was spun around about 3 times and managed to gain my balance, I came face-to-face with a seemingly inebriated lawyer who exclaimed, "Now how am I going to get my golf clubs out of the trunk!" I nearly punched him, but I am happy to report that he was found to be at fault and reparations were in order. Enter the beloved CR-V. Many ecstatic hoorays follow.


As seen in the dash photo, my precious CR-V has been with me for 136,828 miles, and has never let me down. Eight moves, three dogs (really a couple dozen dogs if you include the ones I've cared for that aren't mine) and two severe collisions later, the Honda remains stalwart. Prime automobile. Highly recommended. Devastated that Honda has obliterated the original design, which is perplexing since I received maybe eight letters between 2000-2004 begging me to trade mine in because the demand for the model was so high, yet entirely unavailable. I do not try to make sense of such things.

Maybe the only point of this post is to express my admiration of my 10+ year companion, but I'm okay with it being a shout out to Honda - particularly the original CR-V. Drive on.

1 comment:

jill said...

Funny, my roommate in college was from Rehoboth Beach too. I drove up there around 1996 to visit for the summer. The drive was less than exciting. We should have carpooled, if we only knew. Great blog!