Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Following the Walking Dead

One of my very favorite movies is 28 Days Later, and The Walking Dead pilot episode was practically a replica of the first 45 or so minutes of 28 Days. I admit there was a bit of what I felt to be unnecessary backstory at the beginning of the pilot, but I never lost interest.

The coma patient who wakes up in the deserted hospital - stumbles through the city looking for signs of life - shortly finds a couple of people who have managed to avoid becoming zombies. All gore and violence in between. I was immediately hooked.

I missed the pilot that aired on AMC on Halloween, but caught it on a free on demand channel. I was completely expecting Sarah Polley and Mekhi Phifer, but was pleasantly surprised by a bit of talent from some mostly unknown actors. Don't get me wrong - I love Sarah Polley - especially in Go - but Dawn of the Dead was a great big DUD.

It's true that zombies have been done, time and time again, but The Walking Dead offers a bit of novelty to the tired tale. It's well-done television - the effects are pretty good and it appears to be invested in a plot rather than just a gore fest.

Based on recent plot developments, The Walking Dead is shaping up to be more of a sick pairing of Lord of the Flies and Night of the Living Dead. Disturbing.

After watching episode 3, Tell it to the Frogs, I heard the message that there are only 3 new episodes left. Who ever heard of a six episode television series?! I'm hoping for some clarification. God forbid they plan to cancel it - I will be so upset!

2 comments:

Jane said...

Loving it! Hoping for continued success.

Malena said...

Thank you for entering the giveaway - yes, I have your email!

Do you watch Modern Family?