Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Lost Dogs

I began crying on page 2; but by page 20 I was weeping so hard that I couldn't see through my tears and page 20 did not hold the most brutal details.

I'm not sorry I'm reading this book, but I know that some of my fellow dog-loving friends will not be able to stomach it. The only way I can really express my overwhelming anger and despair is to say that while I realize my soul will suffer, I wish I could throw Michael Vick and his accomplices into a pit of blood-lusting dogs who would rip them to shreds. Beat them to death. Strangle the life from them in the same way they felt it was okay to shove their "underperforming" dogs into a bucket of water until they suffocated or were nailed to a tree to hang. Or for that one little red dog, to be repeatedly pounded into the ground until she died.

What's more disturbing is what Gorant reveals in his introduction - that many complaints sent to Sports Illustrated after the 12/29/08 issue featuring a sweet-faced pit bull with the title, "The Good News out of the Bad Newz Kennels," revolved around the following sentiment, "Why does it matter, they're just dogs?" For that thought to pass among intelligent human beings makes me sick to my stomach. I am beyond disgusted.

I could go into a crazed diatribe about how wrong that statement is - for so many reasons - but that shouldn't be necessary. Anyone who has ever owned and loved a pet knows that the aforementioned sentiment is absolutely ridiculous and could only be uttered by a heartless person.

I recently lost a beloved pet, a Norwegian Elkound named Bailey, and I miss him more than anything I've ever lost in my life. I was shocked to learn that the Norwegian Elkhound garners the #21 spot in the list of most dangerous canines. Anyone who knew Bailey knows that is beyond ridiculous, which just goes to show that a dog, just like a human, should be innocent until proven guilty.

Losing Bailey was a huge blow, and my family has been amazing, but I am still reeling and no one can really help me with that. Reading about these dogs who were forced to suffer so much brings it all to the forefront. Not because Bailey suffered, because I really don't think he did, but because I mourn for the happiness those puppies could've had - the happiness I know my Bailey enjoyed.

National Geographic's Dog Town admirably covered the extensive efforts to rehabilitate the most aggressive of the "Vick dogs" and truly provided an outsider with a tender look into those poor dogs who were trained to fight - something most dog lovers/advocates know is AGAINST their nature. I recommend viewing it - available on iTunes.

4 comments:

Jane said...

I can only imagine how sad, triumphant, heart-breaking and yet uplifting this book might be. I'll have to prepare myself before reading it.

samantha said...

I want to read it, but I don't know if I can. I might have to depend on you to recall the stories. You know I have zero tolerance for doggie suffering! (including reading about it).

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Listening to you tell me the horrible parts of this book convinced me that I don't think I could get through it. I wish we could adopt all the doggies with bad reps and give them the love they need and deserve.

Tammy Faye sends kisses!

weebairn said...

I know I couldn't read that book, just seeing reports on TV enraged me to levels with which I am not personally comfortable. The fact that "pit bulls" who are actually terriers, the dog group I am so in love with, are turned into vicious animals when their true nature is to love and protect their masters and are totally cuddle bunnies when raised right, just sickens me. A lot can be surmised about a person's character by the way they view animals, especially the groups that have become loyal members of millions of families.