Wednesday, July 27, 2011

House addict

I've been aware of House, MD since it premiered in late 2004, but I think the show's timeslot always conflicted with other shows on my watch list. After all, I only subscribed to dvr service in 2009, so I seriously used to be a slave to scheduling.

I don't recall for certain what recently turned me on to setting my dvr to record reruns of House on USA and Sleuth, but I am now a full-fledged addict. I love every show. It's so much less "soapy" than shows like Grey's Anatomy or ER. One can easily view episodes of House completely out of sequence, and remain intrigued by the case at hand. There are ongoing relationships that minimally drive the plot from episode to episode, and are therefore subtle enough that I haven't been lost after viewing episodes from season one followed by episodes from season five with almost no backstory provided.

Honestly I don't think all series should strive to attain the same seamless storyline, but for House it is the perfect formula. Even more individuated than episodes from the X-files, House has the ability to draw in viewers at any stage of any season.

Of course others may completely disagree with my "diagnosis" of this show, but the reruns I've been recording are in no particular order, yet I've lost nothing from the stories of the regulars (doctors) or the patients. In my opinion it is a great show - one that has proven to be compelling for more than 7 seasons now.

Renewed for an 8th season, I can only hope that House will live on!

No comments: