Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer storms

As I've mentioned before, I grew up swimming year-round. Summer meets were held outside and the weather always played a part in whether or not races went as scheduled.

To my parents' chagrin, I wasn't a happy swimmer beyond the age of about 14, but that didn't stop them from keeping me in the competitive swimming world. I prayed for thunderstorms ALWAYS - to keep me from having to practice, to keep me from having to swim another race, etc.

I particularly remember a meet in Raleigh, where I was scheduled to swim the 400 IM in the evening finals (something I severely dreaded), and the father of one of my friends was standing nearby. There was a storm approaching, so of course I was praying for it to arrive in time to prevent my race. Said father leaned over and told me, "I'm an avid golfer. I can tell when thunderstorms will hit. You will not have to swim that 400 IM tonight."

He was right and I was elated!

I'm sure it's sad to some that I have such a fond memory of that night, but in saying so I hope my parents would realize how unhappy I was in spending so much of my childhood in a swimming pool.

Don't get me wrong, my parents are amazing, wonderful people. They've given me my life, my education and happiness. However, even in my adulthood, I don't agree with their forcing me to swim when I felt I was done with the sport. Perhaps they thought I would agree with them by now. I don't.

No comments: