Monday, July 18, 2011

The unchained dog

I can't explain how much happiness I glean from participating in Sunday morning fence builds for the Coalition to Unchain Dogs. I think it's likely something that has to be personally experienced, or should I say "evidenced" for those who really don't put much thought into the happiness of our 4-legged companions of the canine persuasion.

There are all kinds of situations that can lead to an unfortunately chained life for a dog: random houdini acts; uncooperative landlords; financial restraints (inability to build appropriate containment areas for dogs), etc. Many chained dogs are very much loved, but the owners just don't have the wherewithall to unchain their dog(s) on their own.

As a volunteer and active foster home for a local rescue group, I am very aware of the limited resources available for the ever-growing overpopulation of dogs and puppies. Therefore I can attest to the fact that working to keep these dogs with their owners who love them is without a doubt making a difference.

Working with the Coalition is by far the most fulfilling activity to which I have dedicated my time in a very, very long time.

Below: Coogi and Tora, taking a cool drink from a bucket inside their new fence on Sunday, July 17th.

1 comment:

Jane said...

wonderful wonderful wondeful!!!