Friday, October 14, 2011

Recycling motivation

in the Spring of this year, I decided to follow in my father's footsteps and collect aluminum cans to be exchanged for cash. I take my cans to J&D Recyclers in Durham on Cheek Rd - they pay $.55 per pound/$.60 per pound to senior citizens.

My co-workers and friends faithfully collect and deposit cans into my collection - it really is very little work on my part. All I do is rinse most of the cans and smash them with my foot. (Quick tutorial: slightly squeeze the can on both sides in your palm. Lay on flat surface, tab side up, and stomp on the top of the can with a sturdy shoe. TaDa: very compact can.)

I bought a 96 gallon trash can that I keep in my back yard, and the last time it was full I hauled 57 pounds of aluminum to J&D.

I'm keeping my receipts and at the end of the year I'll write a check to my fave dog rescues/organizations. It's tax deductible and I'm helping sweet furry animals. What else is there to ask for?

Having said that, I've posted this in the hopes that more people will recycle, for whatever reason. Start your own can collection and do with it what you want. Start a fashion-want fund, support a local women's shelter, keep the money for your savings - just recycle!!!

No comments: