Tuesday, March 16, 2010

St. Patrick's Day: It's once a year and it always falls on the same date in March


Yesterday wasn't the first time that I was miffed by the inability of others to remember that St. Patrick's Day falls on March 17th EVERY YEAR. It's kinda like Christmas - that day never falls on any other than December 25th. C'mon people.

But lo and behold I heard my dear friend responding to a colleague yesterday, "No, I didn't realize it was St. Patrick's Day today." Good thing, because it wasn't.

No, I'm not Irish, but seriously - how does one not know that St. Patrick's Day is always on March 17th?

I admit to almost never remembering to wear green on the actual day - despite the fact that more than 70% of my clothes are green (I have green eyes so green clothes suit me best) - I definitely have never forgotten that St. Patrick's Day falls every year on the 17th of March.

As my supervisor pointed out, it was the IDES of MARCH (yesterday March 15th), as in "et tu, Bruté?" Although I'm pretty sure Caesar never enjoyed St. Patrick's Day.

I'll be actively thinking of ways to promote St. Patrick's Day - and the awareness of the holiday's actual date - in my spare time.

3 comments:

Malena said...

I love that you posted it today so that airheads like myself remember that it's tomorrow! :) What's funny is that I already asked a friend a couple of weeks ago, when is St. Patrick's Day? Hehe. Outside the US (and Ireland?) there is no Patty's Day is there? I never celebrated it...but I wouldn't mind a cold beer!

CBM said...

who wants some green beer??
t-thx for the fun post! xoxo-caro

matt said...

Happy St. Patrick's Day T - wish you were here.