Friday, January 14, 2011

Disgusting fun fact

I suffer from allergies year-round, but have never been tested to know what exactly is the cause. I'm fairy certain that pets are part of the problem, but pets are never NOT going to be a part of my life.

Based on statistics, I believe I am likely quite allergic to dust and all the counterparts: dust mites and their waste, etc.

Quoted from Glamour's February 2011 issue, "After two years, your pillow is basically 80% dust mite poop." YUCK.

So, does everyone out there regularly wash their pillows (in HOT water)? Do you regularly replace your pillows? If so, do you buy the expensive ones or do you instead buy expensive allergen covers or both?

I'm sure my pillows are no where near as harmful as other dust-ridden things in my house, but if I can do anything to relieve my ridiculously runny eyes and nose I will - other than forgo pets.

2 comments:

carolinagirl said...

YUCK is right. Yes, I wash our pillows...I guess I need to switch to HOT water though.

Gross!

Jeff said...

This sounds awfully fishy to me. If you open up a 2 year old pillow, do you really expect it to be full of basically nothing but poop? I don't. I expect to see the usual pillow stuffing in there. There was a similar rumor about mattresses doubling their weight because of dust mites and that rumor has been discredited.

Secondly, it's Glamour magazine. They are more likely to be paid by pillow manufacturers to spread rumors that increase sales, than they are to know anything about dust mites.