Thursday, January 27, 2011

Southland

I just started watching this show about a week ago, but since I have access to on demand channels I've been able to watch 4 episodes so far. Great show - raw and realistic and shot very well.


Unfortunately, from what I can find online, TNT picked up the series after NBC cancelled it in 2009 - meaning there won't be anything beyond the 10 or so episodes of season three. Boo!

Southland is awesome television. I'm not surprised that it was nixed from network TV (due to language and violence), but it is very deserving of a cable station like FX or TNT.

The most recent episode, "Code 4", left me screaming at the television. I was so angry, mainly because I know that what happened in that fictional hour of TV happens way too often in reality.

For anyone who hasn't heard of or watched Southland, it stars Regina King (Jerry Maguire, A Cinderella Story, Miss Congeniality 2: Armed & Fabulous); Ben McKenzie (The O.C.); Shawn Hatosy (The Faculty, Dexter); Kevin Alejandro (True Blood, Weeds, Ugly Betty); Michael Cudlitz (Band of Brothers); and Arija Bareikis (The American Embassy, Oz). And it's not your typical "cop show."

It stinks that it seems the series will end on an open-ended note (or at least very prematurely), but I still recommend checking it out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was linked here via a reaction roundup post over on a Southland community, and I just wanted to clarify the show's future. TNT picked it up after Season 2 was cancelled, but that was last year. They ordered a third, slightly shorter season for this year. There's no word yet on whether it's going to be renewed, but it's definitely not canceled yet. The ratings are fairly good for cable, even if not outstanding, but for the last couple weeks they've increased by huge amounts. Between that and the critical acclaim, there's a good chance at seeing another season, and possibly a longer one at that.