Saturday, January 22, 2011

THIN

I just recently became completely obsessed with the A&E channel - particularly their documentary series Intervention. Every episode revolves around someone's addiction, and while most of them involve addictions to elicit drugs, the episodes regarding eating disorders are most intriguing because I struggled with my own eating disorder for the better part of 8 years of my life.

I was lead to HBO's Thin by way of the Intervention episodes I viewed, and that was a doozy. I felt like I was watching a "Girl, Interrupted" documentary. I wanted to grab those girls, shake them, and tell them that life is better than being a size 0, or even a 2 or 4.

I spent many months in therapy working through my issues, so I understand the struggles women have with food and their weight. I won't pretend that I have a completely healthy view of a balanced diet, but I have maintained a weight of 115-122 pounds for the last 10 years. I am 5'6" tall.

When I recognize the signs in others who are struggling with an eating disorder it breaks my heart. I see it more often than I would like. In most instances I don't feel it is my place to make accusations, but at the same time I truly wish someone would've done the same for me so many years ago.

Having been in recovery for 10+ years, I am comfortable watching others struggle with what I also struggled with. I don't mean to imply that I am okay with others' suffering - what I mean is that I no longer watch the stories of others and look for tips to starve myself at the same time. I don't get angry with these people because I understand their pain. I sympathize with them, but also hope with all my heart that they find the path to recovery as I did.

Recommended reading for anyone suffering from or living with a loved one with an eating disorder: Wasted Marya Hornbacher

1 comment:

Malena said...

I'm proud of you for staying strong, mentally and physically.