Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Experiencing DATA

I started riding the bus about a week and a half ago - partly as an experiment, partly because it just makes sense as there is a bus stop in my back yard and gas costs a fortune these days.

I can get from my house to the doorway of my work building by a fairly direct route - although I must say connections can be quite tricky and annoying. I've not yet been completely stranded (thanks to great friends) but I'm still perfecting my schedule.

What has been the most pleasant surprise is the folks I've met on the bus. I biked to downtown Durham this evening and decided it would be safest to take the bus home from the Durham Station with my loaner bike in tow. A fellow passenger asked me if the bike was mine and that kicked off a conversation that I thought was pretty cool: He, like my dad, is in his late 60s yet still walks, runs and bikes a great deal. He's training for an upcoming race and told me he even qualified for the Olympic trials when he was in college. The kicker: he's great friends with James Worthy! This Tar Heel swooned at that revelation.

I've also shared a two-seater seat with a mom and her son; successfully advised several fellow passengers of their best travel options and managed to pare my normal 3-bag-a-day commute down to 1 backpack.

I'm feeling pretty savvy. It's the little things you know?

1 comment:

Jane said...

Of course you're going to meet interesting people on the bus T - you're a magnet for interesting :)