Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Doggie Supplements – Advice?

Following Zoe’s less than favorable recent test results, I’ve been supplementing her food with both milk thistle and Nutri-Vet Probiotics.

The milk thistle is in powder form – emptied from 150 mg capsules – added by a few sprinkles per meal. Milk thistle is believed to be a natural “liver tonic,” and its use is widely accepted in veterinary practices across the country. It is often used in the treatment of liver cirrhosis. Since the only adverse side-effects usually extend to mild diarrhea, milk thistle doesn't scare me much. I've taken it myself off and on for years. Zoe has had no problems so far.

The Probiotics supplement is in liquid form and hopefully helps to mask the herbal tinge added by the milk thistle. Thus far Zoe hasn’t turned up her nose, but I’m still trying to arrive at the perfect balance for regular feedings.

Probiotics is chock-full of Omega-3 essential fatty acids, which help maintain immune health. The formula also promotes healthy digestion via naturally occurring microorganisms and enzymes. It smells quite fishy, but again, Zoe doesn’t seem to mind at all.

I suppose the real effectiveness towards my personal goals for Zoe’s health will be revealed when her blood is re-tested next month. Either way, the lack of counter-productive effects encourages me to continue with our current regimen.

I’m curious if anyone out there has any experience with similar supplements, and if so, were the results positive? As I said before, I don’t know yet if Zoe’s slight upturn in relative healthiness had anything to do with the recent supplementation to her diet. Only time will tell!

1 comment:

Jane said...

I've given the Nutri-Vet Healthy Liver chewables to Henry and they worked well. You'd probably have to quarter them for Zoe or something since she's so small.