Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tiny bear ornaments

I fell in love with these tiny teddy bear ornaments created by a woman named Julie at Little Cotton Rabbits. Her work is of course much better than mine, but I made my first tiny teddy bear ornament last night (pictured left).

I thought of making them while I was brainstorming for my Operation Christmas Child boxes, so if I decide to include this little "beta" bear I hope the recipient likes it!

I wanted to make a test bear before investing in materials, so I used green and cream yarn I already owned and made my bear a polar bear.

There are two versions of the pattern - one that makes a dress (the one I used) and one that includes legs as well as arms. For my "beta" bear, I thought less limbs was best.

I didn't have the correct size of double-pointed needles (I sold all of mine on ebay, save one pair, when I gave up knitting in the round) so I used a set of US size 5 double-pointed needles for my bear. Yarn used was cheap-o left over from my knitting practice days. My finished bear (minus ribbon loop) is approximately 3.75" tall.

What do you think? Suggestions?

3 comments:

samantha said...

SOOOOOOOOO cute! I'm sure anyone (especially me) would love one of those in his/her stocking!

Malena said...

Very cute!

CBM said...

how sweet! thanks for picking up my shoe boxes for OCC. you are the best! xoxo-caroline