Sunday, November 22, 2009

Eve Carson Memorial 5K

I participated in the 2nd annual Eve Carson Memorial 5K on Saturday morning in Chapel Hill. While not a race in the true sense for me (I walked), I was more than happy to participate in an event towards such a great cause. Last year Jen came with me, but this year I was alone with my ipod.

Truth be told, I almost bolted after collecting my t-shirt and gift bag only because a separate event taking place on campus made the parking outlook quite grim. (Not that parking on campus at UNC is ever an easy task). But I would've felt guilty had I bailed, and my astonishingly early arrival on-site gave me ample time to scout out alternative parking.

I have no idea how many people turned out for the race - there aren't currently any results online - but it looked like a good crowd. There were several dogs there, which made me sad I hadn't known they were allowed because I would've brought Casey, my brother's dog who is currently bunking at my house. Neither Bailey or Zoe are good at "endurance" walks/runs; but with Todd and Maria running a gazillion miles a week, Casey has adapted to lengthy jaunts. I would've loved to have had him along!

The weather was perfect - I was happy the earlier predicted rain did not come to fruition - and Eve's spirit was definitely present in full-force. I don't remember there ever being that many college students that bright-eyed and bushy-tailed that early on a Saturday morning when I was in school at UNC!

I will do my best to race (walk) for Eve again next year.