Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Dog's Purpose

When I picked up this book at the library, I got to the parking lot before I started reading the jacket. Then I burst into tears - much to the fright of several patrons milling about.

A Dog's Purpose follows the life of Toby/Bailey/Ellie through his/her many lives as a beloved reincarnated dog. The bulk of the story follows Bailey - an ever loyal Golden Retriever and his favorite human, Ethan.

Of course it was the name Bailey that reduced me to sobbing in public. Ethan's Bailey and my Bailey shared many great qualities, and though my Bailey was a Norwegian Elkhound, I still couldn't help but picture him in Ethan's adventures. Bailey's "end" made me feel like I'd relived the ordeal of saying goodbye to my Bailey, which was thoroughly heartbreaking, but cathartic nonetheless.

The dog's dialogue in the book was often quite funny and made me laugh out loud to think of any of my dog pals sharing the same sentiments. For example, when reborn as Ellie, Bailey quips, "A few weeks later I was in the yard, showing one of my brothers who was boss, when I stopped and squatted and all at once realized I was female! How could I, Bailey, be a girl dog?"

Ultimately just as much of a tear jerker as Marley & Me, Purpose is still very much worth an investment in reading 320 pages. I cried. I laughed. I gasped. But most importantly, I was reminded of my latest and greatest friend, and why he was described as such.

I miss Bailey every day and remembering him often brings me a great deal of sorrow, but I also know that he will forever be an integral part of my life.

Bailey is a very special dog. I'm certain he's fulfilling a very important duty on the other side of the rainbow bridge. xo

No comments: