Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Tiny passengers

As a favor to Kerry, I picked up her kiddies at school yesterday. I was a little on edge when I arrived, only because I never know if Sydney is going to scream bloody murder at the sight of me. Thankfully she didn't - perhaps because I'd seen her the day before when Kerry dropped off the kids' car seats.

It was weird to drive to work with two empty car seats in the back, but as I closed and locked my door I smiled as I thought about Felton and Sydney sitting in them later!

So, back to my arrival at the school. I didn't know where to go, so I asked the woman in the first office by the door. When I announced that I was there to pick up Felton and Sydney, she looked at me like I was speaking Latin - even after I used their last name, too. I thought to myself, "Kerry said these people speak English!" (it's a Spanish immersion school) And they do - I think I just caught her off-guard.

Apparently Felton was playing outside and came in shortly after the woman realized who I was asking after. Felton yelled out, "That's Tracey!" with a huge smile on his face. I was instantly set at ease, and pretty sure the staff was certain I was legit after that greeting.

Then Sydney came around the corner, saw Felton and screamed, "FELTON!" It was too cute. Oh, and I was relieved that when I waved and asked her if I could take her home she said yes. No screaming. No crying. Excellent.

What's better, when we went outside to walk to my car, Sydney pointed at the CR-V and yelled, "Tracey!" I officially no longer feel like the girl is terrorized by me.

Felton talked almost non-stop the whole way home - quizzing me about green lights and car wheels and buildings - all the while assuring Sydney, "We'll be home soon."

When we pulled in the driveway I yelled out - just like my mom did when I was a kid - "home again home again jiggety jog!" and the kids thought that was hilarious.

Kerry ran later than expected, but we were fine. I was so mad I didn't have my camera, and I tried to take some photos with my phone, but those two are wiggle-worms. The photo below is from late summer/early fall 2009. I just love 'em!

4 comments:

carolinagirl said...

so glad the pick up went well...that can be stressful.

those are two beautiful children!

samantha said...

I love the Sydney/Felton posts - there are never enough! Glad to hear Sydney is a bit more accepting. They are both gorgeous as always! Thanks for sharing.

CBM said...

too cute! i say the same thing to ansley when we pull in the driveway..as my grandmother used to say to me!!! how funny!!

Kerry Burleigh said...

thanks to you tracey! you are our star! and thanks to the other kind comments about our kids. We sure love them and are so glad they have friends like Tracey!