Sunday, January 31, 2010

My little runaway

Sometime during the early morning hours of January 30th, my Norwegian Elkhound Bailey (lovingly nicknamed Houdini) escaped from my home and disappeared into the snow storm.

When I awoke on my futon at 3 am to go upstairs to bed, he was still in the house. When I came downstairs at 8 am, I found the kitchen door wide-open, the entryway soaked and my house freezing. (The kitchen door has a tendency to open on its own if its windy and I fail to remember to lock the deadbolt).

There weren't even paw prints in the back yard, so I knew Bailey had to have been gone for quite a while. The only thing that kept me from going into complete panic-mode was that I assumed there wouldn't be many cars on the road due to the snow. That and the fact that I replaced his name tag (with my number on it) at Christmas.

After I ran upstairs to find my water-proof boots, threw on my coat and put Zoe in her crate, I thought to check my cell phone. Someone had already called, I must have missed it while in my closet upstairs. She said Bailey was hanging out in her yard and looked very cold - he is, after all, a domesticized Elkhound!

Bailey had crossed four lanes of traffic to end up about a half-mile away in a nearby neighborhood of town homes. I was amazed - though not for the first time - to find him in the woman's yard with her, unleashed and just sitting there. He immediately recognized my car, perked up and came over to me. He always does this - runs off but then is obviously relieved when I find him. He's such a stinker.

I can't blame him - I'm sure most dogs other than Zoe would exit the house if given the same opportunity. I still can't believe I didn't bolt the door.

Anyway, Bailey was home safe and sound before 9 am. He was caked with ice and snow but otherwise uninjured. I am so grateful, and also mindful of reminding all owners of "wandering" breeds out there to keep their dogs on a tight leash!

6 comments:

samantha said...

Oh that Bailey! A stinker indeed. Glad he's okay!

Jane said...

Again?! I would've hoped he was getting too old for those shenanigans!

Kerry Burleigh said...

omg! I am so glad you checked your phone before traipsing around in the snow! Hopefully he got his houdini needs out now and will not escape from our house in a few weeks!

Malena said...

OMG! Thank god you are all okay!
I don't like that you're sleeping with your doors open like that!!! Wind or not you need to bolt them girl!!!

LA and BD said...

Oh, YIKES! I'm glad he was quickly back home where he belongs!

CBM said...

this is the worst feeling...ever! i know...b dog slipped through my fence hole that hummm, was about 4 inches wide one time. omg! i was flippin' out! he was found near a creek, happy as a clown!