Thursday, February 10, 2011

Scared silly

As you might recall, I absolutely hated Paranormal Activity (2009). I thought it was one of the most boring, annoying, stupid films I've ever wasted my time watching.

Regardless, and against my better judgement, I rented Paranormal Activity 2 at redbox last night. Holy crow, I can't believe how much better PA2 was than the first.

Now I'm stuck waiting until I can buy the dvd for myself because the rental versions don't contain any special features and I'm dying to see the unrated director's cut. Or at least I think I am. I honestly think I'll be sleeping with the lights on for the next few nights!

I blame Katie Featherston for much of my dislike of the first film. She irritated the sh!t out of me. As anyone who looks up the movie on IMDB or any similar site, you'll know that she is in the second film, too, but her role is not a prominent one.

The actors playing the starring husband, wife and daughter did a fantastic job. They really made me feel like I was watching actual video footage of their home and lives rather than a directed movie. I particularly thought Sprague Grayden (House MD, Six Feet Under, 24) was impressive. I wasn't necessarily a fan before, but she played a new mom living anxiously in a "haunted house" quite well.

If you liked Paranormal Activity, I don't see how you wouldn't like Paranormal Activity 2; but even if you hated the first film (like me) I highly recommend giving the second one a chance. And just a quick tip: If you can, watch it more than once. There are several subtle creepy instances that could easily be missed on the first viewing.

1 comment:

Jane said...

will rent this weekend! the doggie will have to hold my hand :)