Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Paranormal stupidity

Paranormal Activity is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I am beside myself that Rotten Tomatoes gave it a "fresh rating" of 82%. I'm even more beside myself that PA 2 is in the works.

In an effort to be nice, I'll concede that my attention deficit disorder could've been to blame, but I was BORED. I was never scared and I hated the characters.

For some reason the name Micah (pronounced Mee-ka) annoyed me to no end. Micah (Mike-ah) is fine, but the aforementioned pronunciation really rubbed me the wrong way. Of course I wouldn't hate a movie based on the name of one of the characters, but it wasn't hard for me to hate this movie anyway.

What I really don't understand is the comparison of PA to The Blair Witch Project. No way. For those who can relatively tolerate a "shaky camera film", TBWP is (IMO) by far the most genuinely creepy, spine-tingling movie out there.

PA's tag line is "don't see it alone." I agree, because you'll need someone there to help you pay attention. Disagree with me if you will, but I think this movie stunk it up, bigtime. The alternate ending (DVD extra) is minimally less stupid than the theatrical one. To sum up, nothing could save this film.

In fact, for whatever reason, the woman next to me at the redbox Monday night asked me what I rented as I was walking away. When I told her she said, "It sucked!" I concur. Thank heaven it was a free redbox rental, as I don't think viewing it is worth $1.

1 comment:

samantha said...

Ditto. Absolutely.