Sunday, May 1, 2011

Life is the most spectacular show on earth

I saw Water for Elephants today with my favorite movie buff, Jen. We both loved the film. LOVED it. Having said that I'm quite confused by the film's low ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and somewhat negative reception from IMDB users.


Sara Gruen's novel, on which the film is based, is by far one of my favorite books of all time; and I feel the script stayed quite true to the novel, at least the most important parts. My biggest surprise was in finding Pattinson's Jacob far more believable than Witherspoon's Marlena. Waltz's portrayal of August was spot on in my opinion, and I must say that as a whole I felt the film was cast well.



There is no question that the star of the movie is Rosie. She exudes charm and ultimately proves to be the most loyal and loving character in the film. I was near tears at least three times and got extreme chills during the film's climax.

The cinematography is impeccable - a true period film that is so well done that the viewer is easily transported back to 1931. The costumes, the language, the ever-looming depression - it is all portrayed in each and every scene.
I can't imagine anyone not enjoying this movie even if they haven't read Gruen's amazing book. Therefore, I find Rotten Tomatoes' ultimate review of the film truly rotten, and perhaps biased and shallow.

1 comment:

teg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.