Thursday, May 19, 2011

Successful transplant

I was a little worried about my hydrangea after transplanting it last fall. It was gorgeous last year in a large planter, but over the winter it looked quite bleak. I knew it was supposed to die back, but it looked completely dead. I tested a few of the branches by bending them and they didn't snap so I left it alone and hoped for the best.

I saw leaves emerging about six weeks ago and now it appears to be flourishing in the ground. I thought that transplanting it would make it skip a blooming season, but as you can see it's going to bloom this year. I can't wait for the big pink flowers to arrive!

3 comments:

carolinagirl said...

nice job! i have also replanted large hydrangeas with moderate success! i love those big flowers.

CBM said...

i replanted one too, it is still small, but is blooming. share your bloom photos soon!

LA and BD said...

That's going to be beautiful! I received one last year from BD's mother as a birthday gift. We planted it and are hoping it comes back this year.