Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Treats for 9-5 craters

If you, like me, have to crate a young dog for several hours a day, I offer the following advice: Frozen Kongs.

My foster boy Rusty LOVES them and they keep him busy all day. He weighs approximately 42 pounds, so a medium or large Kong works well for him.

I've filled his Kongs with either wet dog food or a puree of banana, pumpkin, plain yogurt and flaxseed (frozen overnight).

They keep him happy and he often doesn't even get all of the filling out before I get home (leaving something for Zoe to attempt to get to while Rusty is being walked).

Kongs are cheap and can be filled with just about anything: treats, peanut butter, fruit/veggie purees, dog food (wet or dry), etc. And since the Kongs temporarily hold the flavor/scent of whatever they've been filled with, the dog (in my experience) will continue to enjoy chewing on them long after the gooey center is gone.

Highly recommended by this dog owner!

1 comment:

LA and BD said...

Frozen fruit puree -- what a great idea, never thought of that one! Thanks for the tip!