Monday, August 17, 2009

The adoption of Zoe

Sometime in 2005 I was looking for a dog - a small dog - to adopt as both a friend for my beloved Bailey and a buffer for my inevitable dealings with Bailey's old age.

I found Zoe online. The photo (NOT the one pictured here) was horrible, but the description was ideal. I emailed the shelter to tell them I was interested and they told me "Candy" would be at a Pet Smart event later that week.

I drove to Greensboro to meet "Candy," and when I got there a woman quickly accosted me to ask, "Are you here to see Candy?"

When I said yes she basically tossed the dog at me - mind you a terrified, disgustingly dirty dog - and walked away. I held "Candy" who didn't fight my holding her, but had no desire to look at me. She remained completely occupied with her sister, who was also available for adoption the entire time.

After first viewing the dog in such an incomprehensibly gross state, I had no desire to take on any responsibility for the animal, but poor Candy was pathetically horrid and smelly. I knew then and there that I HAD to adopt her. Otherwise, who would really care for her?!

She's been my hearbeat under my feet ever since.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I'm so glad (for her and you) that you found her!

samantha said...

Too cute to be found at a shelter - Miss Zoe is a dream come true :)