Thursday, August 27, 2009

What would the neighbor do?

I am far more of a night owl than your average late-night neighbor, therefore I wonder about those who might be out and about between, say, 1:00 a.m. and 2:30 a.m. on a weekday night.

I was walking the doggies before bed on Tuesday night when a car came to an abrupt halt at a stoplight at a major intersection by my house. The emergency flashers were engaged and I could see that children were in the car.

The driver got out of the car, opened and closed the rear left door and then proceeded to rummage around in the trunk for a solid 3+ minutes, all the while occupying both the straight-forward and right-turn lanes of a busy road.

After allowing Zoe to finish her business, I gathered her up and started across the street – hands waving hello while repeating, "Are you okay?" the entire time.

Although I could clearly see a child in the front seat waving at me, the driver instantly sped away – emergency lights flashing until the vehicle was completely out of sight.

I’m 5’6” and I weigh about 125 pounds fully clothed (I mean with a heavy coat and shoes included). I hate to think I spooked the driver with 7-pound Zoe in tow. I also hope all who personally know me can laugh at that visual.

Perhaps Zoe and I could go by "Z beast and the Glavinator." (or Glavenora, depending on the security guard on duty).

4 comments:

carolinagirl said...

T - you be careful out that late...I am so freaked out now! I keep all my doors locked even in daylight now!

samantha said...

I concur with carolinagirl. I know you always keep your door locked when you're home - you've said it is an annoying habit but I think you should keep it up! Zoe is fast, but she's also small and Bailey is just way too sweet. Stay safe!

TinyRockerGrrl said...

The malicious Glavinator and the vicious Z Beast strike again!

I agree with the above comments though.. do be careful out at night!!

Kerry Burleigh said...

LOL!