Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Home Improvement

Don't let the title of this post fool you. I am no fan of Tim Allen. In fact, I don't know why, but I HATE the show "Home Improvement," even though I know for certain I've never watched more than 5 minutes of any episode. : waves hand in dismissive fashion :

The following are a few of my home improvement projects that have come to the forefront. Any advice regarding materials suppliers, installers, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I would particularly appreciate any local advice regarding upholstering - particularly as to acquiring upholstery fabric to be applied by myself. I have had NO luck finding a local, quality fabric vendor.

Task #1: Repairing the front door "trim" (I'm still not sure that's what it is called)

As you can see below, whatever that piece of wood is, it needs to be replaced. If anyone has experience with this, please share!



By the way, I plan to eventually replace the front door, too. After all, what dim whit decided that it was a good idea to put a door on the front of a house that is half glass along with a single-key deadbolt entry? Jeez! All a burglar has to do is break or cut the window and then easily unlock the front door for themselves via a simple knob twist. I still can't believe that it is illegal to put a double-key deadbolt on a door. Fire hazard my ass. I think if the occurrence of house fire were compared to home intrusion/break-in/theft, the irony of the "double-key ban" would be very clear. I'm not afraid to break that home insurance policy by-law.

Task #2: Replacing broken kitchen window (double-hung vinyl)



This freakin' window has been broken for about three years. Only the outer pane is broken, or I couldn't have avoided it for this long. When I asked Mr. Lowes about window installation services, he told me I'm far better off hiring an outside contractor to install the window because supposedly Lowe's charges an arm and a leg. Calling for window replacement advice!

Task #3: A little perk project

I've had this little "school house" chair for years. My mom gave it to me, along with its little dookie brown leather padded seat. I've been meaning to reupholster it for years, but have just now gotten around to being serious about it. Unfortunately, I have had NO luck finding any quality fabric vendors in the Durham area. HELP!


2 comments:

Malena said...

Ugh, that show makes me cringe...
I am horrible at home repairs, but I am sure you can figure it all out, hopefully without too high of a cost!

Thanks again for your very sweet comments about me reaching my goal...I really appreciate it! xo

Kerry Burleigh said...

sorry no ideas on suggestions - can help with granite if you want ha ha!