Monday, September 7, 2009

UNC Football Kicks Off

UNC Football kicked off on Saturday by kicking the Citadel forcefully to the curb. Final score: UNC 40; The Citadel: 6.

It was hot and our new seats are a bit more cramped – especially for my rather tall brother – but we still had a good time. I was pretty surprised that the stands were so packed since it was labor day weekend, but it was a nice surprise.

At half-time the #1 Basketball team – the 2009 National Champion Tar Heels – were introduced on the field and presented with their Championship rings. Before the presentation the band performed a special number that ended with their formation spelling “National Champs.” I could not see it at all when viewing the field, but the image on the big screen at the end of the field showed the words clearly (I'm guessing because the image was smaller). I wish I could’ve gotten a photo!

Then the big screen played a montage of Championship highlights to the song “One Shining Moment,” by David Barrett.

Following the montage, each member of the team staff and each player were introduced. Flash bulbs fired continuously during the introductions and the crowd roared. By the time the announcer came to coach Roy Williams I found myself inexplicably and dangerously near tears.

What a sap I am, but what can I say? I will definitely miss watching Tyler, Wayne, Danny and Ty wipe the floor with the competition. I know Roy will miss them, too.

Back to football: the boys looked pretty good. Looking forward to the rest of the season. Thanks Todd!