Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Reborn chair

The chair pictured right is the chair I listed in my September 9th post, but looking much better now.

I painted the frame to match my dresser - an antique that my parents bought when they were in their 20s. I inherited the dresser and two matching bedside tables when I moved back to North Carolina from Michigan in 2003. I stripped the furniture, painted it and replaced the outdated pulls with cool modern silver knobs.

The paint from 2003 was completely solidified, but I was pleased to find that Lowe's still had paint chips for the same colors. I used spray paint primer (Kilz odorless interior oil-base) and Olympic Premium Interior/Exterior High Gloss Latex paint.

I also wanted to soften up the seat just a touch, so I stretched some natural cotton batting (1/8" thickness) over the foam from the original chair before adding the fabric.

My mom found the most perfect fabric. I'd sent her paint chips of the colors of my bedroom walls and furniture and she hit the jackpot. All of the colors in the chair cushion fabric are either on my walls, my furniture or my duvet cover. I am quite pleased with my results!

4 comments:

samantha said...

Beautiful! Your mama has great taste :)

carolinagirl said...

Great job! I've used the spray Kilz as well...good stuff! I love a good project!

Malena said...

Wow what an accomplishment!

LA and BD said...

The chair looks great!

I'm obviously too late with a suggestion for this project, but next time you're looking for fabric, you might try the Midas Fabric outlet on Glenwood Ave in Raleigh. http://www.midasfabric.com/