Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Employee safety is a top priority...

Hmmm. Not so much.

I was shocked to learn that "my workplace" was scheduled to operate under a very nearly normal schedule Monday. Having the ability to conduct my work from home, I'd already notified my supervisors that I would not be traveling to the office, but the powers that be decided that a 10 am opening was entirely appropriate.

I hope they also found it completely appropriate to ignore the following conditions:

- Road closures (on campus) due to "sheets of ice" covering the roads. Several regular delivery services were abandoned.

- Multiple cars in ditches - having found themselves there because they tried to travel upon "safe" roads.

- Barricades placed in an already limited parking lot, and why? Because the cones are supposed to prevent us from driving over a potentially icy patch of parking lot? REALLY? If we're to be asked to drive on hazardous roads to get there, why attempt to safeguard us once we reach the parking lot?!

I'll add here that these conditions in North Carolina wouldn't be a big deal in a city with a full available force of snow plowers - so I don't want to hear from anyone telling me I'm ridiculous for being homebound after a mere 7 inches of snow. I used to live in Michigan - Maine before that. I know the difference. I can't control the city's inability to clear the roads. And by the way, no one should be driving on ice.

Bitter girl out.

No labels for this post. If I were brave I would officially add the label, "my job sucks," and it would apply here.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

You're not the only one! Know what really sucks? That only a small portion of employees can work safely from home while the rest of us have to use up our vacation time not to risk our well being to get there!