Saturday, May 8, 2010

I recant!

That is, I recant my previous hate-post towards LOST. I have fallen in love with the show all over again.

I was two episodes behind before I caught up on Thursday (May 6th). I was hooked again after "The Last Recruit," and absolutely beside myself with grief after watching "The Candidate." As a blog I read stated, "and then there were five."

Jin and Sun's demise - after only very briefly being reunited following a three-year separation, made their deaths all the more heartbreaking. I, like many readers online, was torn by the fact that neither put the welfare of their infant daughter above their desire to never part again; but I still wept uncontrollably when their hands parted as they slipped away from each other in death. (Seriously, awesome score, the music of LOST is perfectly pitched).

Some people online compared the scene to Jack and Rose in Titanic. I strongly disagree with that comparison and I think anyone who's watched LOST since its inception would have to agree. They're all fictional characters, yes, but Jack and Rose were with us for 3 hours. Jin and Sun have been with us for 6 years.

You can view the scene via IMDB here (please pardon the cheesy title given by whoever posted it).

After receiving my first Entertainment Weekly with season 6 LOST info (I'm a new subscriber), I'm both eagerly anticipating and dreading the finale. This is the description of the final ten minutes, as stated by the EW guys who were on set during the filming of the finale:

"The scene is bold, implicitly clear yet open to interpretation, and bring-boxes-of-tissues emotional. It seems that this groundbreaking game-changing drama intends to leave the airwaves in a heartbreaking, head-spinning blaze of 'Wow!' and 'Wha?'"

Of course what comes to mind for me is the series finale of Six Feet Under. I have never in my life been so affected by a television show - never cared so much about fictional characters and their fictional lives - as much as I cared about the Fishers.

That scene. The beginning of the greatest most final finale ever. Claire starts up her Prius to leave LA behind for a new life in New York, as she watches Nate, her dead brother, jog in her rearview mirror. EVERY TIME I even think about it I get chills and sob like a baby.

If LOST affects me the same way I'll be extremely impressed. But even if it doesn't, I've definitely enjoyed the show.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TODD AND MARIA!

2 comments:

samantha said...

I miss the Fishers, too!!!

Jane said...

Jack Shephard all the way. Love him. Although I still want to call him Charlie.