Friday, July 9, 2010

Casey post from Todd


My brother sent me this by email earlier today. I asked if I could share it here and he said OK. Casey died on Tuesday.

"Thought I would do my own version of a “Bailey Week” post for Casey.  Being here in the house alone without him is terrible so I was looking through some pictures and picked out a few of my favorites.

This picture was taken on August 1, 2008 and it’s one of my favorites for several reasons.  It was taken with my phone while we were on our way to the beach.  He was sitting on my lap and was taken at an awkward angle but was perfectly centered and also captured Abby in the background watching a movie.  Casey was very cold natured and spent most of his time in the house in the coolest places: tile in the bathroom or marble in front of the fireplace.  He never liked to be covered with blankets and could only tolerate sleeping on the bed for short periods.  However, if put in a situation where he was unfamiliar and had a choice between temperature comfort and being near me or Maria and hot, he would choose the latter.  This was evident when we traveled or stayed at another house and he would sit in our laps while obviously panting even though more comfortable areas were available.

When we traveled, we would set up a “seat” for him in between the two regular seats in the back but he always preferred sitting in my lap.  I can remember driving a few times from New Bern to Winston (about five hours) with him in my lap the entire time.  It had to be warmer there just from the body heat, a more unstable surface and with a steering wheel in his face but that’s where he wanted to be.  He never liked traveling (a throw up bucket was always required and no meals were given on travel day mornings) but that’s where he felt safest.  I can just see this sentiment on his face in the picture."

4 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Awww. Thank you for sharing a little bit more about Casey. The photo is so sweet! I love his nose! I only met him once but I remember him being such a gorgeous dog. I couldn't believe how small he was!

I know its rough right now; I can't even imagine. Hang in there and know that you and your family are in many people's thoughts.

abby's mom said...

I was always the driver in these situations, so I never had the opportunity to ride with Casey, but I do remember his first day! I went with my friend Susan to meet Casey in Raleigh. On the way home to New Bern from Raleigh, he would have none of the laundry basket with blankets. He made himself comfortable in the crook of my arm. Driving with one hand on the wheel and a puppy in my arms!!! Never forget that sweet puppy face!!

samantha said...

Love it. Casey with peripheral Abby. Melancholy mood center. Sweet puppy nonetheless.

Kathy said...

WOW - Benji, Kitty, Bailey, and Casy must be having a blast up there in Heaven. We will all miss them dearly down here but how could you not imagine them running and playing around as if they were at a park for dogs (and Kitty)!