Tuesday, September 14, 2010

From Bailey to Zoe

After I lost Bailey, it took me several weeks to build up the strength to remove his presence from my house. I left his hair to scatter like tumbleweeds across the hardwood any time the front door was opened. I left his bowls untouched. The water he last drank from remained for more than a week after he was gone.

I finally forced myself to disinfect his bed about 3 weeks after his death. I still kept it off the floor because I couldn't bring myself to let Zoe lounge on it.

As you can see, I've come to terms with sharing Bailey's bed with Zoe. She sleeps on it often, but not nearly as much as Bailey did. She prefers to sleep right next to me.

The bed used to be set up in front of the fireplace, but I moved it Sunday night so I could vacuum. Later in the evening I was surprised to discover that I had no idea where Zoe was, as she's usually right under my feet. I found her snoozing on Bailey's bed under my dining room table. I wish he could still be there with her!


5 comments:

Malena said...

Oh Tracey. I get a little choked up reading this post. Bailey's spirit is surely around still - do you dream about him?

TinyRockerGrrl said...

This is such a sad and bittersweet post. I'd like to think Zoe is thinking "Ooooh yeah. I liked that Bailey a lot. In fact, I loved him. And I miss him." We all loved Bailey and miss him so, so much.

CBM said...

i have chills...

Jane said...

You'll always miss Bailey, as will the rest of us who met him and loved him. It's okay to let Zoe share his stuff. I promise it is. I understand the hurt and hesitation, but Bailey would want his things to bring comfort to others - you know he would!!!

weebairn said...

I sooo understand, I bought Barley a new bed because I couldn't stand to see him on Coire's old one. It is hard still. Barley is so totally different from Coire in personality, there was no replacement here! I miss my mellow buddy but Barley is good for me, he keeps me on my toes. I am so happy you have Zoe, she will keep you going forward even as you look back and remember Bailey. Love you, Monalynn