Monday, August 11, 2008

The Eye of the Beholder

Beauty, love, admiration. These things truly are subjective, varying in degrees from person to person. It is these variations that maintain the balance between conventional and eccentric, conservative and liberal, middle of the road and leaps beyond.

While this post might seem to be heading down a rather existential path, all I'm really getting at is that I personally find my tiny terrier, Zoe, to be irresistibly cute. My dad insists that she is weird looking, abnormally boney and an all-around pain in the A$$. OK, yes, when wet she closely resembles an anorexic Chihuahua, she can't stand to be away from me (meaning she barks and paces non-stop until I appear before her once more), and she has a tendency to bite (especially the rear end of dark-haired males who come within two feet of her). Don't we all have our faults? I feel entirely reasonable offering the disclaimer, "Approach with caution and at your own risk." I too value my personal space, so far be it from me to force Zoe to tolerate encroaching intruders.

In all seriousness, Zoe has managed an astonishing improvement in her behavior since I adopted her in November of 2005. She has almost completely ceased biting, she's far less skittish around strangers, and she's developed an impressive tolerance for "youngster curiosity," meaning that she doesn't really mind Abby poking her, picking her up, petting her with a bit too much force, squeezing her, etc. (Good girl, Zo, keep it up!)


**Note: not so much in the last photo, but Zoe has a tendency to resemble the "Heat Meiser" from "The Year Without a Santa Clause." I add this note in honor of my old friend, Heat!**

So, back to "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I bring that up because I realize that quite possibly, it is only a mother who could adore the face pictured in the following photos. Rat-looking, boney, demon-eyed - what have you - Zoe is my baby girl and her face is one of the most beautiful I lay my eyes on every day. May you all find yourselves as lucky as I am to have found TWO of the most amazing canine companions, with whom I gladly share my life. Bailey and Zoe: you RULE!


No comments: