Tuesday, August 26, 2008

What I've learned as a single woman

I've spent most of the last 10 years of my life living on my own. While I admit that a life without roommates can make certain things far more difficult (like finding a dog sitter or getting a ride to work when your car is broken), in my experience, what I am forced to learn and do for myself proves to be of great value.

Example 1: Circa 1999
I moved into a cinderblock hell-hole that I lovingly referred to as Satan's Lair. Satan was a despicable redneck who freely spouted racial slurs and told me that he was going to run my dogs over with his tractor. (In my defense, I only lived there for 3 months). Upon taking up residence at the lair, I had to hardwire half of my own electricity, rewire my telephone connection, repair the plumbing, install new doorknobs and deadbolts and put up a fence for the pooches. Knowing I wouldn't get any of my deposit back from Satan, I did not feel at all bad about the quart of paint I spilled in the living room. Sunny yellow, semi-gloss.

Example 2: 2004-2008 at Kinglet Ct.
I've become a fairly decent plumber since moving into my house, having replaced a little over a half-dozen parts between my three toilets. I've also become a pro at repairing garbage disposals, servicing a lawn mower and pressure washing. Oh, and let's not forget the landscaping. I very much enjoyed ripping up most of my holly bushes and replacing them with azaleas, gardenias and assorted perennials.

Example 3: August 19, 2008
On my way to Costco, there was a great deal of traffic. I sat through many lights, some more than once, and just as I was about to pass through the last light before my stop I noticed smoke rising in front of my car. Upon realizing it was rising from my hood, I started to panic. Then coolant started spraying onto the windshield and that's when I looked down at the temperature gauge. It was off the chart - beyond the red zone and the white that borders the red zone. Long story short, I made it to Costco, did my shopping and then drove across the street as a test run. The gauge seemed fine. But on the way home, any stop at a light longer than a minute or two caused the gauge to creep into the scary zone again. Nevertheless, I knew I had to get home, so I continued on. I made it home, consulted my Honda book, walked across the street to Kroger to get some Prestone, mixed it up and added it to the EMPTY radiator. In fact the reserve tank had also been depleted. I performed the checks necessary and all seemed well. Disaster averted. However, when I called my dad to get his opinion he immediately doubted me, "What did you buy? Did you add water? How much did you add?" I know he doesn't mean to question my intelligence and I really wasn't offended. I thought his inquiries were more humorous than anything else. Future note to dad: I can read, and I do have a tendency to read instructions before acting! The CR-V is due for service soon anyway, so until then we'll live on the edge of overheating.

Through these examples I by no means intend to make myself out to be Rosie the Riveter, but I do feel like I've done pretty okay on my own. I've never wanted to be portrayed as the "damsel in distress," and I think I've averted it well. To all my girlfriends, feel free to ask me any "how to" questions!

No comments: