Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A vampire's love story

Far beyond HBO's True Blood, I am deeply embedded in Sookie Stackhouse's life via Charlaine Harris' novels. Lately, I've been feeling bad for Miss Stackhouse. After all, she's a mind-reading, self-proclaimed undateable waitress who recently found love and then lost it - and NOT gently.

I encourage all True Blood fans to read Charlaine Harris' novels. I am very nearly finished with the 5th book and will be reading ahead as soon as possible. Fans won't be disappointed. Sookie is a "take 'em as they come" heroine, and one who always comes out gracefully on top. Her character reminds me a great deal of Brenda Lee Johnson on TNT's The Closer. Just in case it's not clear, I consider the aforementioned comparison a sincere compliment.

Charlaine Harris' books are great reads - at least up til now. I have yet to be disappointed, but an Amazon reviewer indicated that before reading book six "Definitely Dead," I would need to read "One Word Answer," which was published as a short story in "Bite."

I managed to obtain a copy of the aforementioned book from my local library, so I fully intend to comment on whether or not the outside reading is really necessary. Until then...

No comments: