Thursday, October 22, 2009

All I really need to know I learned through swimming

...or by the obligation of going to practice.

Six days a week. 20+ hours a week back and forth in a pool. At least there was underwater music at UNC-Chapel Hill, but that perk didn't come until college.

I don't miss the misery of 6 am practices in an ice cold pool, 5:15 am practices in the weight room or endless weekends spent in the middle of nowhere at random meets in an effort to make qualifying times.

What I remember the most are my friends I made along the way - my closest friends to this day - friends I made before I was 10-years-old. Oddly enough (and of course not inclusive) these are largely my only friends with families intact (no divorce, etc). I have no ideas on any connection there - I've just always found that interesting - faithful friends, faithful parents. Who knows.

Anyway, I learned a great deal from practice, from Robbie (my coach), my parents, my friends and my teammates. No matter how much I may have cursed practice or any individual forcing such practice on me, I know I am a better person for having endured, participated, committed and dedicated myself to my sport.

1. Be prompt: Even if you're the last person to dive in the pool the coach will remember you were there on time.

2. Don't hit (or grab) people: If you find yourself behind someone slower than you, find a way to politely make your way in front of them. Groping their heels is really just not polite.

3. Support your friends: When you're at a big meet, encourage them and do your part to cheer them on.

4. Don't take things that aren't yours: PSYCH! If you are the underdog and you beat the top dog, Good on ya! Keep going even harder. But I must interject here that a girl from a rival high school stole my swim team jacket, tried to pick my embroidered name out of it and pass it off as hers. I still recall the whole situation as one of the most ridiculously pointless and vindictive dealings ever forced on me. Her parents made her call me to apologize, but I could hear her metaphorically spitting on me through the phone. I admit I wanted her to be caught, but I didn't want the jacket back. To want it would've given her the satisfaction of hurting me.

5. It's always nice to share: Goggles, caps, towels, back rubs, "strap massages." Share and share alike. I always admired the kids sitting back in the following heat who would offer up their goggles or what have you to the SOL swimmer racing before them. It happened more than you'd think.

6. Take a nap: Had I ever actually had time to do that during my swimming career I would've. It would've been glorious.

7. Shoot for the stars and believe in yourself: As my closest friends can quote me, When I was 12, I miraculously made my dreams come true. Against the odds and without my own coach's belief in me, I propelled myself in the ranks and achieved my goal to make the All-Star NC team. I placed in the top 4 in 6 races despite being seated no higher than 12th in any given race. I still remember my "goal meeting" with my age-group coach so clearly, weeks before the Junior Olympics, the way she looked at me like my dreams were completely unreachable. And I remember even more clearly the ecstatic cheering, jumping and wild victory-fist pumping of Robbie when I crushed my personal best times in each and every event. I truly wish I could've bottled that feeling. It was amazing.

8. Live a balanced life: Do the time, do the sets, finish practice. When you leave the pool, leave the pool. You might still smell like chlorine, but it's healthy to remove yourself from your sport on a regular basis.

9. Play fair: Don't pull on the lane ropes during backstroke sets or take a dive mid-lap and double-back unless you want to hurt yourself. Cutting a lap = cutting your training = cutting your ability.

10. There is no "I" in team: While swimming is a highly individualized sport, there are also relays, and more importantly the necessity of a support system. If you think about all of the athletes most likely to crack under pressure (ice skaters, gymnasts for example) this idea should be quite clear. Individualized focus is fine, but keeping things in perspective is even more important. I don't think I could've gotten through a single swim meet completely on my own. I know for certain I never could've gotten through a Robbie swim practice without my teammates - my friends.

So thanks Robbie, Robin, Dad and Mom; and of course Kerry, Mark, Susan, Anna, Amy, Elaine, Suzanne, Alex, Scottie and many, many more Wahoos. I admit that I was often a bitter teenager loathing my plight, but I know that I wouldn't be the same Tracey had I not been "Tracey the swimmer." I know I'm a better person for it.

3 comments:

carolinagirl said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this post, and I am happy to know more about you now! I detected some of the same "groans" that I've heard from JC speaking of track practice at Carolina too! :) Are you at the game? If so cheer hard!!!

Kerry Burleigh said...

oh, the good ol' days! so glad YOU were there to help ME through those Wahoo days! It certainly wasn't the same without you those last few months of high school.

CBM said...

TG and KB...even though i was not on the same team i felt like you gals were my super friends! after uh...what 20+ years? we still connect! how great is that? xoxo...CM when are we gettin' together again???