Monday, October 5, 2009

Home Improvement task #1 complete

While some touch-up painting to the trim, etc. is likely in order, I consider task #1 completed. The threshold support under my front door is now far more structurally sound, effective and attractive.

I must admit that I find it extremely irritating that ALL of my other doors are constructed with similar supports that haven't deteriorated. So, was it just some slacker jackass that took care of my front door or is there some other random explanation? I'm sure I'll never know, so I'll just have to let it go and be proud of my ability to remedy the situation.

Should there be any interest in how I did this, I've included rough instructions following the photos. The whole job only cost me about $42. Many people probably already own some of the items I had to purchase, so the task is likely a bit less expensive for most. I've included the items needed below with the instructions.

If you eliminate the necessary shopping and the drying time for certain steps in the process, this project only took about 2 1/2 hours to complete.




Items needed:

• 2x4 piece of treated lumber, cut to the size you need

• Sandpaper, 120 and 220. I was lucky enough to have an electric sander. 220 to sand the bare wood, 120 to sand between coats of paint and/or to sand over filled screw holes

• wood filler or spackle

• a decent drill and the following drill bits: 3/16" regular bit; 5/32" x 4 1/2" carbide tipped concrete drill bit (if you're on a slab like me); 1/4" titanium countersink bit

• Concrete anchors, I used (4) 3/16" x 2 3/4" Tapcon brand (not sure what you'd need if not on a slab, but I recommend some kind of anchor in addition to liquid nails if that's what you use)

• Interior/exterior primer; oil or latex base

• Exterior latex paint (I used Valspar premium semi-gloss from Lowes)

• 9" Caulking gun

• DAP Concrete & Mortar Filler & Sealant (not necessary if your foundation is without cracks)

• Liquid Nails Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive

• GE Premium Waterproof Silicone Caulk for window/door/attic/basement, Clear, 10 oz


1. After forcefully ripping off the previous support, I took that piece of wood to Lowes to have a new piece of treated lumber cut. I then sanded, primed and painted all sides of the wood. (While many people, including the guy who cut my wood say that painting all sides is unnecessary, I couldn't help but think that by priming and painting all sides, the wood would more likely be thoroughly sealed from the elements).

2. Remove any materials/residue from the original support base. I used my hair dryer to heat the leftover liquid nails residue and an industrial scraper. I used a standard caulk remover tool to remove any extraneous old caulk.

3. I found the previous attachment method asinine. Whoever attached the original support used a tiny amount of liquid nails and then actual nails to attach the support to concrete. The nails were placed only towards the middle of the support board and the liquid nails were applied in much the same way. No wonder the wood separated at the ends! Therefore, I decided to use both concrete anchors (screws) and liquid nails. I drilled holes through my wood piece, evenly placed across the entire support, then lined it up where it was to be placed and drilled through with the concrete bit to make corresponding holes in the concrete. I used the countersink bit to make impressions in the front side of the wood where the anchors would rest.

4. I coated the backside of the piece of wood with generous strips of liquid nails and positioned the wood in place. I then immediately screwed in the anchors, working from side to side to keep the wood even while the liquid nails dried.

5. Once all the anchors were screwed in, I used spackling to cover over the screws. After allowing that to dry, I sanded the entire area and then painted over the entire face of the wood with another coat of exterior latex paint.

6. Following a suitable period of drying time for the paint, I applied clear silicone caulk, using a caulk gun, to seal all gaps. I then used a standard caulk finishing tool to neaten up the edges.

1 comment:

carolinagirl said...

great job...next time you are in clemmons, come on over! ;)