Thursday, April 22, 2010

A new and welcome heroine

Katniss Everdeen effortlessly kicks Bella Swan to the curb - with force. Imagine Bella minus the klutziness, the whining, the irritatingly false self-deprecating descriptions of herself. Then add extreme self-determination, a healthy dose of selfless pure love for others and a kick-ass fire and you've got Katniss.

Young adult, schmung adult. I LOVE this book, can't wait to read the second, and I'm not afraid to admit that I am beyond bitter that the final book isn't due out until August. I thought the series was done before I started reading - but no. Damn.

Suzanne Collins' writing puts Stephenie Meyer to shame. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy reading the Twilight Saga, but The Hunger Games is far more memorable; lighter (minus useless filler); and truer to the genre without being ridiculous.

I'm more than 2/3 through The Hunger Games and I have the second book, "Catching Fire" on my list at my local library.

Awesome fiction. Highly recommended.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I've heard great things about the first two books. One of my friends just finished Catching fire. She, too, is anxiously awaiting the release of Mockingjay!

Malena said...

I knew it! I knew you'd love it! The 2nd book is crazy awesome too! :)

I just finished the Maze Runner...add that one to your list too for the summer! xx