Thursday, April 15, 2010

Not JFK's dog

My tiny terrier is an enigma wrapped in a mystery inside a puzzle.

After two pneumonia-like episodes over the last few years, one seizure episode and strange blood work on numerous occasions; an odd wellness blood panel led my vet to suspect Addison's disease.

John F. Kennedy is one of history's most famous Addisonians. In layman's terms, I understand the disease to be one that basically prevents one's body from appropriately dealing with stress - not in an obnoxious behaviorally inappropriate way - but in a physically deficient manner. Can you imagine being the President of the United States and having a physical condition that prevents you from being able to deal with stress?!

Anyway, despite Zoe's outward appearance of gleeful health, her blood work prompted my vet to request an upgraded panel to find out if Addison's was indeed a possibility. Those results indicated that Zoe is NOT Addisonian. I should interject here that Addison's disease has many nicknames in the veterinary sphere. One of them is "the great imposter."

I couldn't decide if I should be relieved that she doesn't have this life-long yet manageable disease, or frustrated that we still have no idea why Zoe's health seems to sporadically and rather severely decline.

Nevertheless, Zoe's going under Thursday morning to get a loose tooth pulled and have her potty mouth scrubbed and polished. Please cross your fingers for my tiny terrier! Hoping she comes out of anesthesia just as tasmanical as she's always been.

I'm sure I'll post a photo of her shaved chicken leg ASAP. My vet usually supplies a photo of the fantabulously sparkling post-polished mouth, too, so I will shamelessly post that if I can.

If you live in the RDU area, I highly recommend my wonderful veterinarian, Dr. Catherine Geyer. She is absolutely the most dedicated and compassionate veterinarian I've had the pleasure to deal with. I can't imagine my life - or my dogs' lives - without her. Find her at Park Veterinary Hospital.

No comments: