Friday, April 16, 2010

Tooth Fairy debt

Man she owes Zoe big time.

Zoe went in to the vet yesterday to get one loose tooth pulled and have her teeth cleaned. When she left the vet she was minus seven teeth! There is still a loose tooth in there, but they're hoping that post-cleaning the gum tissue will heal and reattach to the tooth, but if not, that one will eventually come out as well.

Dr. Geyer said Zoe will be fine without all those teeth. She said, "If she had to go out and hunt for her dinner, she might be at a disadvantage for a few days" but dog food won't be a problem for her at all.

Extractions: 2 molars, 1 premolar, 4 incisors. Two of those teeth were completely dead and one of the incisors' socket was full of pus. Her recent health issues may very well have been related to those nasty teeth.

One thing I noticed that I never thought could happen is that she has puppy breath again! I wonder if "puppy breath" really is so great just because puppies aren't old enough to have periodontal disease or tartar build-up? Zoe's teeth are quite sparkling white at the moment, and after these numerous extractions I truly intend to do my very best to keep them that way - or at least healthy.

I didn't get a photo of her teeth this time post-cleaning, but I did snap her picture with her little pink bandage on. I was able to remove it after we'd been home for about an hour.



Zoe will be on pain meds, antibiotics and prednisone (steroid) for several days. We'll return to the vet in two weeks to check her extraction sites. Her stitches thankfully don't require removal.

Last night she was still pretty dopey, but resting comfortably. She ate her regular food - softened with warm water - with minor difficulty. Here's to hoping the next several days go smoothly!

2 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

Awww she looks so pooped in the picture! I'm glad she's doing ok. Give plenty of kisses for me!

Kerry Burleigh said...

Wow! can't wait to see her new shiny smile!