Sunday, April 25, 2010

No longer empty

My 12-gallon aquarium has been empty for more than 18 months, so I began regularly checking the water again about 6 weeks ago in preparation for adding some fish. Over the previous weeks I replaced the heater, made several water changes and did some research on which fish would most likely adapt to my tank's water conditions.

I went to Petco yesterday in search of some cichlids. The "fish man" was quite protective of his swimmers for sale. Once I told him my tank had been empty for a while he became very concerned. He wanted me to bring in a water sample to be sure my tank was habitable. My first thought was, "Dude. You don't know me. I don't do anything half-way."

After I explained to him that I have all of my own water-testing equipment, he relaxed enough to be willing to sell me some fish. When I told him I brought a brown paper bag to bring the fish home in (fish don't like to be able to see anything during transport from one tank to the next), he completely dropped his guard.

Below are photos of my new friends. Fish are so hard to photograph - at least for an amateur like me - so please pardon the blurriness. The first photo is of both of the new tank mates. The one at the top right is a Lake Malawi cichlid called a "convict." It's such a fitting name as they have faint stripes on their bodies. The orange one appears to be another variety of Lake Malawi cichlid whose proper name is Cynotilapia afra.



The convict has spent most of his time hiding under the plastic bridge in the tank. The guy at Petco said he won't grow as big as the other one and that he'll be less aggressive. I'd have to agree since the orange guy hasn't stopped flitting all over the tank yet.



Here's the shy one laying low by the big piece of driftwood in the center of the tank.



I'm not supposed to use the tank light for at least 24 hours to reduce stress and I'm sticking to that, but I must say it's hard because aquarium fish have a way of mesmerizing me. I could watch them for hours. It's good to have some little guys in the tank again!

4 comments:

CBM said...

have you named your new friends?

Malena said...

I had no idea about the brown bag. You'd think the pet stores always would "package" the fish like that after a sell, don't you? I feel badly now, cause when we moved from Brooklyn to PA I had my goldfish in his bowl in my lap the whole trip, an hour and a half of stormy weather for my Phinneaus...

samantha said...

Just don't obsess over the water conditions. Remember, I know you!!! Glad you gave up on the goldfish :)

TinyRockerGrrl said...

In the third picture, he kind of looks like Marlon Brando..haha!