Friday, April 2, 2010

When persistence is bad

Very bad - more like downright obnoxious.

When it comes to my home, I am a very private person. I never have people over, and I really don't appreciate uninvited visitors or solicitors. My blinds are almost always closed, and curtains cover the large windows in my front door.

Unfortunately, my neighbors have come to learn that I live alone, therefore if my car is in the driveway it most likely means I am home. Even more unfortunate is the fact that they obviously don't understand that my car in my driveway doesn't mean they should practically insist I answer the door.

Perfect example from last night: someone rang my doorbell (which immediately sent Zoe into a barking frenzy), and when I didn't come to the door, they rang it two more times in quick succession. When I still didn't answer the door, they rang it three more times in a row and also rapped on the window. The triple ring was repeated two more times.

Seriously? There are very few instances in which I would find this behavior appropriate.

1. I have an appointment with someone at my house at a specific time, but I don't answer the door upon the visitor ringing the bell.

2. Someone fears for my life and is therefore desperate that I come to the door and show that I am in fact okay.

Upon reflection of the highly irritating situation, I wish I had answered the door, very rudely, and screamed, "What the eff is so important?!"

From what I gathered after peering out of an upstairs window, my next door neighbor had a piece of my mail - something which I do not see as remotely earth shattering, and especially not cause for ringing my doorbell 12 times in less than two minutes.

Maybe I do keep a bit too much to myself, but I'm fairly certain such behavior is completely within my rights, no?

2 comments:

Jane said...

I admire your restraint. Next time just open the door and let Zoe slip out. That oughta teach people to stay away!
I need a Bailey update.

Chapel Heel said...

I've heard in movies/TV that a good lawyer doesn't ask a question of a witness that he doesn't know the answer to. I subscribe to this notion in a different way: I never answer the door or the phone unless I know who it is, and in most cases, what they want as well. Filing your bell ringer encounter under perfectly normal.