Tuesday, February 9, 2010

An Eeyore Elkhound

I've been referring to Bailey as Eeyore for quite a while now. I can't help it. Bailey is constantly putting forth a "Woe is me" face. Granted, he is over 12-years-old, so he is due a bit of curmudgeon-like behavior.

But don't get me wrong, my Bailey is the sweetest boy who ever lived. Yes, I try to keep that fact a secret - allowing shifty "neighbors", etc. to believe he is a ferocious beast - but it's hard to disguise his loving nature. I'd trust him with a newborn. There's not a harmful bone in his tremendously hairy body.

In his old age he has become quite nearly deaf, he's much slower to rise from the floor and he's less likely to discern a patch of grass from a patch of carpet in my house, if you know what I mean! Nevertheless, he's still my #1 buddy; my roommate & constant companion for the last 12+ years; and essentially the best friend I've ever had.

Old. Stinky. Slow. Dusty. Talented escape artist. HAIRY. I wouldn't have him any other way. Long live my Bailey boy!

4 comments:

TinyRockerGrrl said...

That nose is to die for!!! He really is the sweetest boy!

Malena said...

What a sweet tribute and what an adorable photo. That one needs to be enlarged and framed!

Jane said...

We miss Bailey up here in the snowy north! And while I know he is happiest with you, I'm willing to bet he misses the snow, too.

LA and BD said...

What a sweet face! I try to keep Kip's sweet side hidden from neighbors, too. Although I'm sure his wagging tail and huge smile give him away, people are always intimidated by his size at first.