Friday, February 5, 2010

An inadvertent hoodwinking

Poor Bailey. Although I truly didn't mean to deceive him, I do really wish I had a video of the following incident.

I bought a pack of tiny rawhide bones for Zoe last night and decided it would be only fair to share, so I plucked one out of the pack and threw it to Bailey. Seconds later, I saw a much larger rawhide bone on the floor and decided I shouldn't waste the small bones - the only ones Zoe can chew - on Bailey.

I quickly grabbed the larger bone and tossed it to Bailey while almost simultaneously snatching the tiny bone up from the floor. Bailey obviously missed some - or all - of this maneuver because he spent the next 5 minutes looking under himself, under his bed, and under everything else, for that tiny bone. He was frantic and I felt horrible.

Bailey ended up with both bones out of pity, but I couldn't help but think of the Traveler's Insurance commercial showing the dog worrying about the safety of his bone. Who knows? Maybe I was hoodwinked and Bailey just knows how to manipulate me.

2 comments:

abby's mom said...

ohhh, poor Bailey. I am glad he got both bones. The old man deserves it. Gotta run, Casey is howling at me for attention!!

samantha said...

Bailey may do some stupid things, but if memory serves he's no dummy. It's quite possible that YOU were hoodwinked ;)