Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A fond memory

When I was in the 6th grade I happened to be friends with more boys than girls - likely because my interest in boys related solely to my ability to beat them on the track or in the pool. But I remember one boy in particular who said something to me that still sticks with me more than 20 years later.

At the end of one particular school day there was some sort of announcement over the loud speaker regarding something about a popularity-type contest - I really don't remember the specifics - and my friend looked me dead in the eye and said with complete sincerity, "Tracey, you're the prettiest girl in this school."

The fact that he was popular but never pursued me as his "girlfriend" (what does that mean at that age anyway) actually made me believe him. Not that I thought it was true, but I believed that he thought it was true. I'd known him for more than four years, and even though he made me crazy for most of that time I still regarded him as a dear friend. He'd always stood by me and supported me (as much as any 8-11 year-old can anyway).

We remained friends through high school, and I think we would've stayed that way beyond graduation, but unforeseen circumstances stole his presence from my life.

I think of him quite often and I'll never forget what he said to me that day in my 6th grade class. I knew I wasn't the prettiest girl, or the smartest girl or the most popular girl; but for about 5 seconds approximately 23 years ago, he truly made me feel like I was.

3 comments:

Malena said...

I am getting chills reading your post. It is amazing what importance positive things like that have on a child - and how we carry them with us for the rest of our lives.

Kids can be so cruel and so equally sweet. I have both kind memories (and a lot of harsh memories) like yours, that for some reason are etched inside me forever.

Thank you for sharing!

samantha said...

Awww! That is a great memory. I'm not surprised someone told you that - even though middle school is probably one of the cruelest times in a child's life. I love this and agree with Malena - thanks for sharing!

Kerry Burleigh said...

T - you're still the prettiest! And, you didn't have Susan Moody at your school, so - of course you were then too! hee hee.

You'll have to tell me who that was and what "unforeseen circumstances" stole him from you!